Welcome To Los Portales Museum and Information Center
San Elizario, Texas
About Los Portales Museum
The building which houses our historical museum was built around 1850 and is known as “Los Portales” (The Portals). It was once the residence of Capt. Gregorio Nacianceno Garcia, a well-known respectable member of the San Elizario community in the 1835-1898 era.
Capt. Garcia donated the building to the town of San Elceario to be used as a Public School. He hired the first school teacher and organized and became a member of the first school board. Thus, this building housed the first public school in El Paso County and served the town as such until 1936.
Tues - Thurs: 10am - 4pm
Fri - Sun: 10am - 5pm
Learn about our history!
Did you know that San Elizario is actually the place where the Second Thanksgiving took place right after the one in St. Augustine, FL? It took place here 30 years before even the Pilgrims set foot into the new land.
San Elizario History
More information coming soon.